Sunday, April 29, 2012

Have "FITBIT" will travel!

As I have stated, my daughter Kristen is my FTF coach but my husband George is my biggest cheerleader!  He surprised me a little over a week ago with a little contraption called a Fitbit.  The Fitbit is a very small clip that electronically records your fitness goals each day and then wirelessly reports them back to your computer!  Men and women can clip it onto their slacks, a pant or shirt pocket, and women can (as recommended by the manufacturer) clip it to a bra.

The fitbit tells you the time, serves as a stopwatch, measures your sleep/wake patterns, tells you how many steps you climb, the number of steps that you take, the total number of miles you walk each day, and the number of calories that you are burning.  The fitbit summarizes your daily activity; it resets itself at midnight each day.  When I log into the fitbit "dashboard" on the computer, I can also graph my progress, add weight and fitness activities, and use their food log.  I can also set goals and it will measure how well I do each week towards achieving them.   It is a pretty amazing piece of technology that is no bigger than my pinkie.  (For more information go to www.fitbit.com )

So where I go, my fitbit goes, and it has been pretty amazing.  After my first week, I logged into the dashboard to see the results:  Steps:  56,298 (Goal 70,000 per week so I made 80%);  Stairs:  74 floors climbed ( 106% of my goal of 70); Miles:  26.83 miles (Goal of 35 miles per week- I accomplished 77%).  I burned between 1750 and 2300 calories per day.  And I lost 1.2 pounds.  Not a bad first week!

There is a saying that a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.  Now that I have this amazing gadget, I know exactly how many steps I am making towards my heart health journey!!!!  Thanks, George! 

No comments:

Post a Comment