Friday, April 27, 2012

Week Four or "How much can one person fit into seven days?".

It is 8:20 p.m. on Friday night.  I am sitting at my keyboard with a decaf tea wondering how to summarize the past week.  Like last week, I knew that this one would be filled with many obligations and more that a little stress.  And like last week, I survived with a little help from my friends!!

Last weekend was pretty pleasant.  I started with a two mile walk with my teammate Sue and her daughter/coach Rachel.  We walked around Roseland Park on a spectacular spring day, passing people with children in the park, kids riding bikes, couples walking along the lake, and parents watching their sons and daughters playing little league and t-ball.  I could have easily walked another two miles, but both Sue and I had other obligations.  I did some more gardening and did up a sketch of the addition to our back deck for George to bring to the town hall for a building permit.  Sunday brought some showers, and then rain.  I spent time with my beautiful daughter- and coach - Kristen.  We saw Linda Collangelo and Laura Crosetti at the 99 Restaurant and I was reminded of the incredible sisterhood that has been formed in Northeaster CT!  I had the salmon with roasted veggies for lunch!  I relaxed in the evening with my hubby!  It was all good!

Monday I hit the floor running at 4:45 a.m.  After a trip to the gym  I began a week of non-stop activity.  After a long workday, I had a meeting of my committee for the Arc Capital campaign and a walk through at the banquet facility we are using.  Started Tuesday at the gym and at the college I made final preparations with vendors and the college facilities folks for our two day "Open Air Fair" at the college;  the Open Air Fair began on Wednesday along with SGA elections (and all the crazy stuff around that).  I not only vompleted a good workout at the gym, but I also had physical therapy for my shoulder in the afternoon.   No gym on Thursday morning as I attended the Rotary District Assembly in West Springfield beginning at 7:30 a.m..  I left Springfield at noon, travelled back to the college, wrapped up the "Open Air Fair" at the college in the afternoon, and then headed for the Kick off for the Community phase of the ARC Capital Campaign that same evening.  Missed the gym again Friday because I was up at the crack of dawn to get to WINY radio for 7 as part of the Anti-Drinking and Driving campaign for NECASA.  The Putnam Police and EMS personnel turned a car on its roof in front of the station and we put NECASA Executive Director, Bob Brex inside where he would stay until we raised money for programming to be provided to teens during prom season.  I left WINY after doing some air time and spent the remainder of Friday at Rentschler Field in East Hartford where the "Heroes for Hire" job and training fair was held for CT veterans!  It was crazy and tiring, but now that it is over I realize it was also filled with accomplishment and purpose!

I usually get so caught up in the craziness of weeks that are busy like this that I forget to take care of myself.  Not so long ago I would be catching meals on the run, or eating whatever was available just because it was there - or convenient.  I've always been a stress eater, and a week like this should have put me over the edge.  It didn't!  Why?

The answer, I believe, is because one of the things that I added to my busy lifestyle is a huge commitment to myself.  Why is it, as women, we usually take care of everything and everyone but don't put ourselves on that top priority list?  What changed is that there are 180 plus women who have made themselves and each other a priority for the next few months.  In order to take care of them and cheer them on, I have to take care of myself.  It is a commitment and promise that we made to each other, and I  keep promises and commitments. 

So, to the models, their coaches, my teammates, my coach, and my cheerleaders - and all the beautiful women of the Follow the Fifty movement - thank you!  I had a lot to fit into seven days this week...  but left room to take care of myself as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment