Monday, May 21, 2012

It's all in the "View"!

Everyone who knows me is aware of my great love of Rotary!  I have been a Rotary member since April 1994, and I have witnessed first hand the good that this organization does in the community, in our state, and around the world.  Not only have I had the opportunity to serve my club, the Putnam, CT club as a past president, I am also very privaleged to serve the district as the assistant governor for area 5.

This past weekend was a great celebration in the form of the Annual Rotary District 7890 Conference that was held this year in Plymouth, MA.  Dear friends Gary and Karen Osbrey worked tirelessly all year planning for this big event!  There were checklists for everything, several trips to Plymouth during the year to make sure all the details were right, and finally spending the entire time at the conference working on the schedule each and every minute.  And the hard work paid off with one of the best conferences ever!  It was the first year that I convinced my husband to join me, and he such a great time that I don't think I'll have trouble convincing him to join me in the future!

On Saturday morning, after enjoying an evening feast dining on 16th century fare at the Plimouth Plantation, I woke early.  George was still asleep so I decided that I was going to go for a brisk morning walk.  I got into my gym clothes and sneakers, grabbed my ipod, and headed out the door.  The morning was magnificant - sunny with a cool breeze off the water of the bay!  I headed out towards the bay and found a walk/bike path that parallelled the beach and water.  As my ipod played upbeat walking music, I began to jog.  Now you need to know that I have not jogged in years!!  It is always such a chore to jog on the treadmill and if I do it is only for two minute intervals.  Here I was maintaining a slow jog without feeling that same exhaustion!  How can that be?

I think it might be the "view"!  I was focused on the beauty of the water, the lovely homes along the waterfront, the people walking dogs or biking along the path.  I forgot to get involved in all that self talk about how horrible it is to jog!   When I returned to my room, my fitbit registered 3.22 miles!  Not a huge jog/walk, but not bad either!  After the morning Plenary session at the conference, we had the whole afternoon to ourselves, so George and I went out and enjoyed Plymouth!  We walked over five miles seeing the "rock", touring the Mayflower II, doing some shopping, walking along the river in the park, and breathing in the fresh air and sunshine!! 

Saturday was the most active day ever recorded on my fitbit, and it didn't feel like it at all!  I believe that it is because I was enjoying the view and finding a way to make a healthy activity less of a chore and more of an adventure!  Now if only I could have that beach scene at my gym...........hmmmm.

1 comment: