Sunday, July 15, 2012

Joggin the Noggin event : Keeping an eye on the Finish Line

Yesterday, over 150 women, and about a half dozen men, gathered at QVCC for a Follow the Fifty event that was called "Joggin the Noggin"!  The agenda was a presentation by Division 1 Athletic alumna Monique Wolanin on the four "P"s of walking/running:  Pre-warm up, Position, Pace, and Post -stretching; a brisk one mile walk/run, and a program on nutrition and its effect on good health.

The speakers were very good and the program was a lot of fun.  I felt completely reassurred that I was doing all the right things and that gave me renewed enthusiasm and commitment. I have to say, however that the most poignant part of the day for me was during the one mile run.

I can now run a mile and felt confident that I would be up to the challenge for the course.  I took my position beside two of my QVCC co-workers who are also FTF models.  The course was explained to us, spotters were at each 1/4 mile mark, and the signal was given to start.  We all started with a slow jog using the position info that we were given.  We hit the 1/4 mile mark when I noticed that one of my co-worker was breathing shallow and fast.  I wanted to keep running, but I also wanted to help my friend.  So I told her we were going to walk a bit so our breathing can recover.  Our other co-worker stopped too saying "we are going to do this together".  For the remainder of the course, we alternated jogging slow and walking.  We kept encouraging each other and before you knew it we had hit the mile marker.  The instructors told us since that we could do the 1/4 loop again - AND WE DID!

What was so incredible was watching all of my FTF "sisters" along the route.  Some were jogging, some were walking briskly, and others were slower in the back of the pack.  Everyone had a smile!  It wasn't important to anyone who was running, jogging, walking, or at a snails pace because we were all moving in the right direction and we were all keeping an eye on the finish line.  This is true of yesterday's event and it is true as we move towards our goal of heart health.  Some are off and running, others are struggling but courageously continue to move in the direction of the finish line.  And no matter how fast or slow, we are cheering each other on, shouting encouragement, and taking each others hand to "do this together!"  I plan to reach the finish line, and I will be in wonderful company when I do!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment